Key Lime Pie is one of our favorite desserts. It brings memories of childhood vacations in the Florida Keys and some pretty fun adult times spent there too!
One of my favorite places in the Keys!
I set out to make a delicious LCHF pie for our Valentine’s Day dessert. It did not look as pretty as this one, but it sure was good! Next time I may try adding cream cheese like in this recipe to see if it holds together a little better. Here’s how I made it this time >>>
I started out by making some Sweetened Condensed milk using canned Coconut Milk and Xylitol adjusting the recipe from The Detoxinista.
Ingredients for Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk:
- 2 cans (14 oz cans) Whole Fat Organic Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup xylitol sweetener (or desired sweetener). I usually use Swerve but thought I would try xylitol this time.
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Watch this pot closely! Once the coconut milk starts to boil, it can bubble over quickly. Whisk regularly to prevent burning. Reduce the heat, bringing the coconut milk to a simmer, then add the sweetener, whisking until it’s completely dissolved.
- Allow to simmer for ~45 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half. We need 14 oz. for the Key Lime Pie recipe. It took the whole 45 minutes plus a little more to reduce to 14 oz.
- Remove from heat. Cool completely.
Now we’re going to need a graham cracker crust for this pie. Can’t just run up to Publix and buy the pre-made. No sir-ee. Those days are long gone. We’ve got to make this bad boy from scratch sans actual graham crackers. Our flatter bellies will thank us. I use one of Maria Emmerich’s crust recipes. Easy peasy!
“Graham Cracker” Crust before popping in the oven
“Graham Cracker” Crust
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (I use Nuts.com)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Swerve
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Mix crust ingredients and press into pie pan. Pre-bake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Now we can get to the Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime Juice – Key Lime pie recipe (on the back of the bottle)!
Key Lime Pie
- 14 oz sweetened condensed coconut milk (it’s cooled down now, right?)
- 3 egg yolks (pastured eggs for those lovely orange vitamin filled yolks, right?)
- 1/2 cup Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice (I don’t have any Key Lime trees)
- Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice with hand mixer.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Cover pie edges with foil or pie crust shields (oh yes, I’m a gadget junkie). This is very important. Almond flour browns very quickly. I forgot to do this with mine and the edges were quite brown. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. I left my pie in for 20…it seemed too jiggly at 15. You’ll have to be the judge. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before refrigerating.
See what I mean about the crust edges??
Alrighty then. While this tasty pie (I know because I licked the bowl!) chills in the fridge we are going to make some whipped cream. We just can’t have pie without whipped cream. And there again – you can’t just run down to the store and buy a can of Redi-whip. That’s okay though, we’re getting the hang of homemade. Now we’re spoiled on quality so convenience isn’t as important as it used to be.
After watching a Youtube video for tips I was ready. Handy tip: Put your metal mixing bowl and beaters in freezer for a while to get super cold. Apparently this helps your cream to whip. I don’t question, sounded like a good idea to me so I did it.
Take your mixing bowl out of the freezer, pour 1 cup heavy whipping cream into it. Mix on high speed for 5 minutes. That’s what the fellow did on the video. At 5 minutes his cream was whipped and so was mine. Now add 2 tablespoons Swerve powdered sweetener. Gently blend in sweetener. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and refrigerate. Youtube guy said it will keep for about a week in the fridge.
See the frosty bowl? Isn’t my red mixer sexy?
We had a lovely Valentine’s evening. Mr. Becraft always has to work so hard on Valentine’s day. So I try to make a special dinner for us because he’s so sweet.
Valentine’s treats for my honey.
He finds the most beautiful cards!