I don’t eat the Standard American Diet anymore. Eating real, whole, healthy food and staying away from fast food, sugar and junk food has proven to be a great success over the last year. However, eating differently from family, friends and co-workers can be pretty challenging at times. I can’t depend on the snack isles of my grocery store for treats anymore. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have some very tasty foods. No sir, there is a world of goodness to be had. And I thank all the folks who post all their awesome, healthy recipes. This is one I depend on and the whole family loves! I found this recipe from The Frugal Greenish Mama and put my own spin on it.
This recipe makes 32 – 1 Tablespoon Coconut Patties
- 1/4 Cup of Coconut Oil plus 1 Tbsp MCT oil (MCT oil is optional)
- 3/4 Cup Nutiva Coconut Manna
- 3 Tbls Swerve Sweetener
- 1-3/4 Cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chocolate chips (Most times I use Lily’s Stevia sweetened chocolate chips)
First of all, if it is the first time I’ve opened the jar of Coconut Manna, I spoon it all out into a bowl and stir it together until the separated oil and the coconut is well blended. I then measure 3/4 cup for this recipe and put the rest back in the jar (and the jar in the fridge).
- Combine coconut oil, MCT oil, and coconut manna in a bowl. Stir in sweetener.
- Add coconut 1/2 at a time. Stir to combine after each addition.
- Cover a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. Spoon mixture onto sheet into 1 tablespoon balls. Place in the freezer to harden.
- Melt chocolate by placing an oven-proof glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Pour about a cup of chocolate chips into the glass bowl and stir while they melt. I add a tablespoon of MCT oil to help the chocolate thin for easier dipping and because it’s an awesome way to get more MCT oil in my diet.
- Remove coconut patties from freezer and dip in melted chocolate to cover. I use two spoons for this. I place the patties, 5 at a time, into the bowl of chocolate. Turn with the spoon to coat. Pick up with one of the spoons and push back onto the cookie sheet with the other spoon.
- Refrigerate until chocolate hardens. Place in a container to keep in the fridge until ready to serve.